Alright y’all, we’re trying something new for the red, white, and blue!! My grandma found this recipe in a magazine and casually left it out on the counter as a hint for me to bake them. Since they are patriotic, I figured I would give them a shot!
The recipe is pretty straightforward and anyone with half a brain can probably do it. You will need an electric mixer unless you’re Inspector Gadget or want a pretty serious arm workout.
I started by combining the dry ingredients (minus the sugar) because the recipe said to and it makes it easier for you down the line.
My dry bowl is just missing a smile 🙂
After you have the dry ingredients, combine your super soft butter and packed cup of light brown sugar. (Sugar snowball)
Mix er up until it’s super fluffy and comes together as one; like so:
Add the eggs to the butter and sugar fluff one at a time and mix until well combined. I had already added the first egg when I took the picture below…
Add the Apple Cider Vinegar, red food coloring, and vanilla to make a bloody mess (English accent? You decide.)
Pro-tip: drink 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar diluted with water (or straight up like a shot if you’re a badass) every morning to reduce inflammation. For all of you struggling with adult (or not-so-adult) acne, that is inflammation!!! Try to use ACV either to reduce swelling and rid your acne! You’re welcome.
Add ya flour mixture.
For those of you who are baking with gluten free flour, make sure there is xanthan gum in there. If not, you will have to add 1/4 tsp along with the dry mix.
Okay, so powdered sugar wasn’t in the first picture because honestly, it looked ugly. You need it. You also need a cookie scoop (mini ice cream scoop) or you can use a tablespoon but that is not suggested since the dough is incredibly sticky.
Plop the dough balls into the powdered sugar and form round balls.
Place them about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
Time 4 the oven! I baked them for about 12 minutes and then let them cool on the cookie sheet before plating them.
TA-DA!! Happy Fourth y’all!!!
Since I’m so nice, I’ll give you the full printable recipe!.
1 ½ cup gluten free flour (with xanthan gum)
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
1 cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup butter, soft
2 large eggs
4 tsp liquid red food coloring
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
¾ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and allspice in a medium bowl
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time to sugar mixture and beat until well combined.
- Beat in food coloring, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and mix until just combined. The dough should be soft and sticky.
- Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl. Using a 1 ½ tsp scoop, drop scoops of dough into the powdered sugar.
- Bake until cookies are puffed and tops are cracked, 12 to 15 minutes.